Friday, February 03, 2012

(Belated) Goals for 2012

My old pastor commented on Facebook recently, that January feels like "holding inhaled breath and waiting to expel it and start breathing again". It is something a can relate to, perhaps this year more than others. Moving to a new town in December and all the traveling for Christmas and New Year celebrations (our first with an extra little person), has left me desiring a life pause button. However, as January has waned and February is new, I am ready to start breathing again and get stuck into living with gusto! So without further ado, my goals for the rest of 2012.

Housekeeping

Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful. - William Morris

1. Declutter. As much as I love making and collecting things, there can be too much of a good thing.

2. Make a daily/cleaning routine and stick to it.

Craft

I have managed to accumulate quite a few unfinished projects over the years and would like to see some to completion.

1. Grandmothers Flower Garden Quilt



I started this quilt at the end of 2006 and then promptly commenced a nursing degree in 2007 which I found consumed much of my time but now I would like to have it finished for Evie's big girl bed. My husband pointed out to me that I had been "over-engineering" it by hand-stitching each stitch on top of the other. A completely unnecessary and time-consuming task. Now I am leaving at least one to two millimeters between each stitch and also using some of the flowers my mother has done which I had previously considered not good enough in my perfectionism. A quilt with slightly less than perfect stitches (which won't even be noticeable) is infinitely better than no quilt at all.

2. Marriage Sampler from Cross-stitch and Embroidery in Red, White and Blue.


Another hand stitched project I would be delighted to finish.

3. Linen scrap quilt



A blue and natural colored quilt using linen salvaged from op shop clothing and incorporating the embroidered table numbers from our wedding.

4. Purchase a decent sewing machine

I have been struggling with a cheap and nasty Brother for a number of years and dread machine sewing because of it. This probably less of a goal than a desire but I am including anyway. I have my eye on a Bernina 380.

5. Regency style dresses for Evie and I from this material


6. Some aprons.

I find housework a lot more tolerable (and easier) when wearing a pretty apron.  I like the empire style of Butterick B5509 and the largest style of Simplicity 3544.

I daren't make any more sewing goals lest I don't complete the ones I already have.

I am keeping these goals modest so as not to spook me self and not do any at all.

1 comment:

Justamum said...

I love your sewing projects! They will be wonderful when they are finished!!!